I still remember the old cartoon that
we used to watch that had the jingle, "Where in the world is Carmen
Sandiego?" As I sit here writing you from a new area the song popped in
my head, but this time it said, "Where in the world is Elder Roberts?"
It doesn't quite fit the jingle, but it works for me. :)
Well, I write to you today from a small internet
cafe in the heart of... drumroll please... San Pedro Sula! I've been
assigned to work in an area called La Primavera. A
few months ago the area was closed and the 2 sets of missionaries were
taken out. We're the first missionaries assigned to return to La
Primavera and the members are pretty excited to have us back. My new,
but not so new, companion is Elder Hernandez from Nicaragua. We've been
in the same district for my whole mission, so we know each other pretty
well. We're practically brothers ;) We're both new in the area, so
sometimes we walk around like lost tourists, but we always find our way
back ;) The area is amazing and my companion is fantastic. I don't know,
but I might love this area more than Santa Cruz! Who knows?
I
know you like to know about what life is like to live here, so I'm
going to explain just a little bit :) Our house here is nice. There's
water every day and there's actually a shower head in the shower! We
still have a cocinera who cooks our lunches everyday, as well as a
sister who lives next door that gives us free breakfast every morning.
The members are still organizing dinners for us, but for now we're
eating with our ward missionary leader every night. There's a few
supermarkets close by, so that makes shopping easy. Let me tell you,
when I stepped inside a supermarket for the first time in 6 months, I
was a little surprised. Who knew that a store could be so big? ;)
Well
a lot of cool things happened this week, but because of time I can't
write them all. The one thing of which I want to testify of is the power
of members in missionary work. Without the members helping us this past
week, we would have been lost with no direction. Thanks to a big
support system from the members, we are working hard and with purpose.
So my challenge for each of you is to participate in missionary work.
You don't need to go out and knock doors, but simple things make the
difference. Be a friend to someone who's lonely. Share a smile and a
wave with the person who pulls up next to you at the stoplight. Go out
with the missionaries. Make a difference! :)
I
want to thank you greatly for the videos that you sent me of Grandma
Carter. Tears were shed and my heart is heavy, but I'm forever grateful
for the chance to be able to hear some encouraging words from her. I'm
glad she made it to celebrate her birthday surrounded by family. Send
her my love and my well-wishes. I'm not sure if she got my email I sent
her a few weeks ago, but tell her I love her around the world and back
again. "Hey Drew, I have a question for you! Who loves you?" Grandma. "Who loves Grandma?" Me.
Dad, thanks for the email and the updates! You
always keep me well informed on the most recent happenings in the
Roberts family. The weather sounds like typical Utah weather, but I hope
you're enjoying it :) The weather here is rainy, but still hot. It
feels nothing like a "Utah Christmas", but the Christmas lights and
Christmas trees make it feel like an "Honduran Christmas." :) I hope
work is going well and that you're keeping the house in good shape. I
agree that it would probably be good to visit Grandpa. I can only
imagine how lonely he is. Know that I look up to you so much for your
help, support, and comfort that you've provided for the whole family in
this difficult time. You're the best dad ever!
Mom, thanks for the email. I know it's hard to write
when there are so many things to do, but I want you to know that I
loved your letter. There are some missionaries here that don't get
emails from their parents, so I'm eternally grateful for the support
you've given me! You're such an example to me. You're strong, kind,
faithful, loving, and much more. Keep being an anchor for the whole
family. I hope you get feeling better soon. You're always in my prayers!
Eric, good luck with the upcoming winter guard season! Have fun, be safe, and win some competitions ;)
Well,
I'm out of time today. I'll be sure to write more about the work here
in La Primavera next week! I hope everything is going well and pray that
everything will go well this upcoming week. Keep being strong. Keep
being kind. Keep being stellar :)
Con Mucho Amor,
Elder Roberts
P.S. Did I mention that I love you? Because I truly do!
No comments:
Post a Comment